Soal Latihan Bahasa Inggris tentang Simple Past Tense – Simple Past Tense atau sering juga disebut dengan Past Simple merupakan salah satu jenis tense dalam bahasa Inggris. Tense jenis ini digunakan untuk menyatakan kegiatan / kejadian yang terjadi di masa lalu dan telaj selesai di masa sekarang. Past Simple ini biasanya dicirikan dengan penggunaan bentuk kata kerja ke-2 (Verb 2). Agar lebih memahami tentang tense jenis ini, berikut adalah soal latihan bahasa Inggris tentang Simple Past Tense.
Soal Latihan Bahasa Inggris tentang Simple Past Tense
A. Exercise 1: Thinking about use (Latihan 1: Kegunaan Simple Past Tense)
Are the past simple verbs in these sentences single actions (sa), repeated actions (ra), or past states (ps)?
Example: I took the new CD player out of the box, plugged it in, and switched it on. (sa)
1. Even tough we lived in a small house on the coast which didn’t have any heating, we had a wonderful, exciting childhood. ____
2. We went to the centre of the town on Sunday afternoons, and spent our pocket money on sweets and clothes. ____
3. My friend Sally came to many house, and we talked about the new baby. ____
4. They left at six in the evening and drove all the way home without stopping. ____
5. I knew her when she was only the assistant in this shop. ____
6. As children, I got up really early and nearly always got to work before 8.00. ____
B. Exercise 2: Learning from learners (Latihan 2: Belajar dari pelajar)
Some learners keep a diary about their progress in English. in this diary, write right if a verb form is right, or correct it if it is wrong.
We learned the past simple during the English lesson this morning. It didn’t was too difficult, we (1) read about some children and how they spent their pocket money, and then (2) studyied the grammar. My problem was the irregular verbs – I (3) didn’t knew that there were so many of them, and I just (4) couldn’t remember all the past forms. Once or twice, I (5) fell very silly when I (6) was wrong. I made a lot of mistakes. I (7) didn’t realise that a verb in the past was needed to add even when I say the time something happens, like ‘yesterday’. When the lesson finished, I went shopping. I (8) bought some clothes, which (9) costed more than I meant to spend! After buying the clothes, I realised that I didn’t even have enough money left to catch the train home, so I walked, and it (10) taked me nearly an hour.
10. _______ [sc:ads]
C. Exercise 3: Text completion (Latihan 3: Melengkapi teks)
The article below describes an unsuccessful driving test. Fill in each gap with a verb from the box in the past simple.
On my first test, I ran out of petrol. Not very long after the restart from the emergency stop*, the car (1) ___________ again, although I (2) ___________ . I (3) ____________ five times to restart it.
‘No,it won’t start.’ I (4) ___________ to the examiner.
The examiner (5) ___________ into the driving seat. Then, I (6) ___________ the car to the nearest service station, where I (7) ___________ for the petrol.
‘This is not your fault and will not affect whether you pass the test,’ the examiner (8) ___________ , but I (9) ____________ terrified and (10) ___________ not surprised to fail for lack of observation.
*the emergency stop is the part of the test that shows that you can stop quickly in an emergency
D. Exercise 4: Question formation (Latihan 4: Bentuk pertanyaan)
Complete the past simple questions in the extracts from conversations. Write in a bracket ( ) which question and asnwer come from a conversation about a holiday, and which ones from a job interview?
Did you have a good time?(holiday)
Yes, we did thanks. The hotel was lovely and the weather was shiny.
1. What ____________________________________________________
Lots of things – my education, interests, and career.
2. Where ___________________________________________________
In a small hotel just next to the beach.
3. Did _____________________________________________________
Yes, very nervous. My hands were shaking!
4. Did _______________________________________________________
Yes, wonderful. We ate fantastic seafood every night.
5. What _____________________________________________________
I bought a new suit specially.
6. Why _____________________________________________________
Because a friend told us that it was a nice place, and he was right.
7. How many _________________________________________________
Three, but one of them never said anything.
8. How long _________________________________________________
About 45 minutes, and then they spent a few mintes showing me round the office.
9. How long __________________________________________________
Just a week. It wasn’t really long enough.
10. How much ________________________________________________
Don’t ask! It was really expensive, but we enjoyed ourselves so it didn’t matter!
Demikianlah soal latihan bahasa Inggris tentang Simple Past Tense. Semoga dapat dipahami dengan baik dan bermanfat bagi teman – teman. Terima kasih.
(Source: 2003. Nettle & Hopkins. Developing Grammar in Context)